Sunday, April 10, 2011

Can Acupuncture Cure My Astrology?


If you would be so kind and allow me to indulge briefly in some astro-jargon:  A Mars return is an astrological event which apparently happens to each of us every two years.  When we are born, the position of Mars – and all the planets, for that matter – becomes part of who we are.  And since Mars' orbit lasts roughly two years, a phase of re-definition of the planet's meaning hits us on the same schedule.  We are most familiar with the sun's position in our charts, as in "What's your sign?", and a solar return is also known as a birthday.   Somewhat well-known in certain circles is the Saturn return.  This is recognized as a major event that takes place between the ages of 28 and 30 in which nearly all aspects of life may be turned upside down (read: relationship, health, and job turbulence).

According to the charts, I have a Mars return coming up very soon.  I did some research to find out more about what I can expect.  In laymen's terms:  A period of high physical energy, increased inclination for conflict and accidents, a greater probability of run-ins with authority figures, particularly men, and a deconstruction of perceived conventions which I will soon discover are defunct.  Having more energy is always appealing, but unfortunately the rest of the forecast doesn't really sound like an easy weekend.

On the other side of this equation is another energy system:  my twice-weekly appointment with my favorite local acupuncturist Diana Vuong, whom I have known for almost ten years.  Her knowledge of the meridians extends beyond the body; she can also relate discontents with your health to nature and the cosmos.  Not that she means to be a mystic, it is merely a result of her very thorough training in China.  For example, just as the year is divided into the zodiac in western astrology, traditional Chinese medicine divides the year by the organs:  Fall is lung season, Spring is kidney season, and so forth.  Babies born in the fall, for example, tend to be more susceptible to weakness of the lungs.  

Knowing this, would it be possible for Diana to diagnose that I'm experiencing a Mars return?  Would my pulse be different, my elements be too hot or dry, and my liver chi be stagnated?  Furthermore, would she be able to counteract Mars in my body with needles and herbs that strengthen, say, Venus and the Moon?  And by cooling my life energies, could she spare me from potential hardships which might teach me about the nature of Mars?

I am going to give it a try starting this week.  I will let you know if and how Diana's treatments abate the affects of the red planet's return.


Visit these links:
Excellent acupuncture in Downtown San Francisco: 
Diana Vuong, LAc  whitecloudacupuncture.com

Humanistic astrology in San Francisco:
Jessica Murray is a woman who possesses the wisdom of the ages.  And I know that she would have my hide for writing so simplistically about astrology.  What she teaches is infinitely more complex.  Highly recommended.  www.mothersky.com